Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Buffet Hutch

As women, I think we feel a need to rescue things.
I've brought home my share of puppies needing mothering...
 I've also brought home plenty of furniture that needs some loving care.
I found this sad story at Goodwill.


Being that this buffet is made from a veneer, I couldn't just take a power sander to it.

I opted for citri-strip to get the white paint off.

First, apply the stripper with a brush or rag and let it sit for an hour or so.
After it's soaked in, it should bubble and flake and look like this:
TIP - don't leave it for days, thinking you'll get to it later.
It isn't as easy to remove later.


Once it looks loose like above, it's time to scrape with a putty knife:

The stripper does a pretty good job at removing the sticky grime and most of the paint.
This is the door after one application of citri-strip and a putty knife to remove.

Obviously, this wasn't the look I was going for.
So, time for application #2.
This time, I applied the citri-strip and then began scrubbing it with a wire bristled brush.

Here you can see the difference between
 just a putty knife vs. wire brush.

From here I was able to use a light grit sand paper and get the rest of the paint off.
It did take some effort...
But then it was ready to be stained!
The fun part.
I went with a minwax dark walnut stain.


Recap:






 

No comments:

Post a Comment