Friday, January 31, 2014

Boat Bed - Years Later


In 2005 my husband decided he was going to build our boys a "boat bed."
There wasn't a pinterest to gather ideas back then.  :)
 
He envisioned this in his mind.
He read books on how to bend wood.
He read books on how a sailboat was constructed.
He bought books about 'sails' and 'knots' sailors used.
 
It was a months long project.
I didn't own a nice camera.
Our boys were 18 months and 3 at the time.
 
I would occasionally go into the garage and snap a picture.
 

 
Having lived in an apartment thus far into our marriage,
we were both very aware it needed to come apart and be transportable.
Scott took this into consideration and built it so it could come apart.
 
 
The bed has been with us since 2005.
Our 3 year old is now 12, going on 13.
 
It's moved 4 times successfully.
It's solid.
 
I was certain our children would outgrow it by age 9.
Not so.
Our oldest is determined to sleep in it until he leaves home.
 
 
I guess what I am getting at is,
 how nice it is to have something quality built that has lasted.
 
Boat Bed in 2008
The 2 boys slept in it together for many years.
Until daddy built our younger son the bed he dreamed of - a Star Wars bed.
 
Although the décor has changed as the kids have matured,
the boat remains as steadfast and sturdy as ever.
 




 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted this to have plans so my kids could have one just like it! What an awesome bed!!!

    ReplyDelete